Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year's 2009!


On this first day of 2009, I know that some of my friends celebrated by going geocaching. However, I participated in a different outdoor activity to mark this first day of the year. My daughter and I went kayaking. The weather wasn't great -- 23 degrees, wind gusts up to 30 mph and snow falling -- but the challenging conditions seemed to make it that much more fun. And before you start thinking that we are completely nuts, I should tell you that the lake -- Columbia Lake near Portage, Wis. -- is a cooling lake for a coal-fired power plant so the water temperature is in the 70- to 80-degree range year round. That doesn't make the wind any less bitter when you're putting your kayaks back on top of the car, but it does make the paddling a little more bearable. How ever you celebrated today, I hope you had a good one. Here's to a great 2009! (It's got to be better than 2008, right?)

1 comment:

Tape worm said...

Ok, at first yea I thought you where nut's. What in the world would someone be doing out in the middle of a lake this time of year? Then I caught the water temp and it clicked.

I love that thumb's up photo. :) That's priceless.

Sound's like you guy's had a great adventure. Still sound's chilly to me. lol Great Story!!!!